Just in time for Thanksgiving, Chef LP has a healthy addition for our spread!
Whole – Wheat Dressing with Wild Rice
- 1/3 cup wild rice
- 2 TBS Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 TBS chopped fresh thyme leaves
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 12oz whole-wheat bread, cut or torn into ¾-inch pieces (about 12 cups) NOTE: Opt for bread that has a thicker, crunchier crust as opposed to softer one
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
1. In a medium saucepan on high, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add rice, reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender, about 50 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes. Add carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add thyme and pepper. Stir in bread, then broth and gently stir to evenly moisten. Remove about 1/3 of the bread mixture and transfer to a medium bowl. Set both bowls aside.
3. Mist a 2 – 2 ½ qt casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside. Drain rice. Stir rice into larger bowl of bread mixture, then transfer to the prepared baking dish, spread evenly. Top with reserved 1/3 cup bread mixture, spreading evenly.
4. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F. Cover with foil and bake until heated through, 20 to 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned on top, 20 to 30 minutes.
Serves – 10
Serving 1 cup – Calories – 193, Fat – 6g, Carbs – 27g, Protein 6g